Friday, March 16, 2007

TURN OFF THE RADIO!!!!

Remember when you turned on the radio, your song actually came on?! It was really "The Sh*t". Not because you heard it 20 times a day, you just knew it was "The Sh*t". Regardless of subject matter and/or content, you knew the song was special because it had it's own special way of delivering a message...Now let's turn to 2007. What the hell is this?!! Is this music?? Yes, I asked the same question those "Old People" used to ask, when I was a kid. You know what I'm talking about. You're listening to (let's say) "One More Chance" and someone from back in the day would tell you, "That's not music, this is music!" You then get put on to Earth, Wind and Fire, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, you know . "Now that's REAL music. what you're listening to is noise!"

Who would've thought at 25, I'd sound like them. Listening to the Top 40 of today is horrible!! I mean really!! Ok, there are a few people (any artist from the 90's) and newcomers (Kanye West, Ne-Yo) that I like and respect, but the other 97% needs duct tape to their lips and their contracts shredded!! Where did this all begin?? Who knows. I remember a time when wack songs were sprinkled into the minds of the music consumer. That's when I knew there was a problem. My family, including my mother, would have a great time listening to the jams (that's what they were called then), and never got tired of them. We couldn't wait for the album to drop!! We would automatically give the money up in a second cause we knew we were getting our monies worth. Within the next hour or two, we memorized and mastered the entire LP!

Buying music today is a gamble, especially for me! If I saw a new album on the shelf, I would have to do a survey on it first. Read reviews, get other people opinions, find somebody who already has it and borrow theirs, or worse, DOWNLOAD IT FOR FREE! It's not my fault I have doubts. I had none when it came to buying "Don't Be Cruel" by Bobby Brown, or Nas' "Illmatic". I understand music changes. Everything changes, supposely for the better. There's nothing great about what MTV, BET, or the #1 radio station is putting out there. So until music television or record companies upgrade us. Music today is unneccessary........UNLESS LOOSETONGUEZ SAYS OTHERWISE!!

PS: MUSIQ SOULCHILD "LUVANMUSIQ" IN STORES NOW!!

No comments: