Monday, April 9, 2007

Whitney Houston - Who can hold the torch?

Even though there was a previous post about Whitney Houston (http://loosetonguez.blogspot.com/2007/03/whitneyyoure-my-addiction-we-need-you.html, for those who didn't have a chance to read it.), I had to do another one. When it comes down to thinking where to begin, I'm at a lost for words. Over the years, our attention started to sway more towards the personal lives of the Singer/Rapper or Actor/Actress, and less towards the talent that they were known for in the first place. And when it comes Whitney Houston, she is a prime example of what I mean. From "Drug Abuse" to "Anorexia" to the "Dispute with her father" to "Financial Problems" to the latest, which is her "Divorce and getting full custody of her daughter." Now let's be realistic, are these (if not one, all) things that any ol' body can or experience on a everyday basis??

I don't see too many post about her accomplishments, if it's not a biography or fan site. I believe that the slander and criticism about her in the media, took over the fact that there's not ONE single or song that she's dropped that anyone can say, "She's lost it." After really giving it some thought, she's been in the music industry for over 20 years now. And after going through my "Music B.I.B.L.E (Bangers I Bump Loud Everyday)", I confirmed it. Going back from "You Give Good Love" in 1985 (Fast Forward) to "My Name Is Not Susan" in 1991 to "I Will Always Love You (From "The Bodyguard")" in 1992 (Fast Forward) to "My Love Is Your Love" and "It's Not Right, But It's Okay" in 1999 to (Damn, I'm still going)....need I say more???

Who gives a damn that she's going through a divorce??? That's their Prerogative. Bobby Brown in my opinion, was never on Whitney Houston's level...but only they understood the love they had for one another. Was her career based on her marriage when she was introduced to the world in 1985??? Nope, sure wasn't. So please people I ask, why kick someone when they're down?? I know that's a trait that many carry, and "they can't help it". But damn, you don't think Whitney knows how she looks??? Or how she acts in public (whether she was on drugs or not)??? She doesn't need it to be reinforced over and over. Besides, that's none of our business anyway.

Where's the tribute to Whitney Houston?? I know she receive a lifetime achivement award from B.E.T. on their first annual award show. And I'm sorry, but that didn't really do anything for me. A lifetime achievement award from B.E.T...UmM...I said UmM... Vocally, the chicks in the game right now, couldn't hold the match to strike the torch in comparison to Whitney Houston. And you can't say it's not a comparison, but who are we suppose to compare the chicks in the game to??? Check her record...this chick is no joke.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.vnuArtistId=4849&model.vnuAlbumId=607708

1 comment:

Young Sister said...

I am really digin the site. I am so happy to see that for once someone is giving Whitney Houston her props. She is a human being first. There are many people out there who are struggling with drug addiction, getting a divorce and the media is tearing their up "celebrity image" a part. I do not want to trade places with Whitney. Some People do not realize what pressure we put on ourselves. I think we have to really give Whitney Houston her space and let her live her life.

Nobody here on this earth is perfect. We have fall short by God in our life. Remember if it was not by the grace of God and his mercy to see through our faults where would I be. Ladies and gentelmen that is what we have to think about.

Oh a happy note, I hear that she is in the studio working on her album. It is suppose to come out in October 2007. God Bless You Whitney Houston!


Peace,

Young Sister